Everything seemed OK for the first 8 or so miles, when I suddenly started encountering problems. My energy level completely gave out and I was suddenly unable to run more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time, feeling like I was going to collapse. I got a blister on my right foot. And then I pulled a muscle in my left leg, near where my calf muscle meets my knee.
I also encountered a complete psychological meltdown and I realized just how much I miss running with my group.
I gave myself an extra 30 minutes than I thought I would need, yet it was barely enough time, as I had friends scheduled to meet me at my home about 45 minutes after I was scheduled to complete my run.
I ended up hobbling home for the last 3 or 4 miles (through Beverly Hills and West Hollywood).
Many factors contributed to this experience:
- I slept a combined total of 11 hours the previous two nights.
- I didn't eat enough food before or during my run.
- I wore the wrong type of socks (which caused the blister).
- I didn't allow myself enough time to finish the run, which caused me stress, as I thought I wouldn't make it home in time to meet my friends for a road trip.
- I thought stretching my leg in the middle of the run would help with my other injury. Spencer suspects that this is what caused me to pull a muscle.
And I learned just how important it is to have the right prep time, equipment and supplements for these long training runs.
I've gone the greatest distance I've ever ran. And I learned just how far 7 miles is from my home (it took me well into the Santa Monica city limits).
I'm happy to get back with my group this weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment